Paul and Michele Griffiths take over the Helen O Grady - Cape Town South Franchise

NEW beginnings...

It was announced publicly this week that my wife, Michele, and I will be running the Cape Town - South Helen O Grady Franchise with Sunette Strydom as Principal  as of the beginning of 2018.
It is our great pleasure to be inheriting this franchise which has been so lovingly nurtured by Duncan Rice and Gavin Pollock.
The pressure is certainly on to maintain the amazing work they have done!
But rest assured we are ready for the challenge!
In this last week Michele and myself completed our intensive Principal and Teacher training with Duncan and Gavin. What a treat!
As if it were possible, we feel even more inspired by this amazing aca
demy.
The week has reinforced for me specifically what I have always believed:  the principle that drama is a life skill -  a life skill that empowers you to acknowledge your thoughts and feelings and provides you with the courage to express it without self consciousness in any context.
I, personally, have been reminded by the difference drama made in my life.
In an age when children were conditioned  to be 'seen but not heard' , drama taught me to find the confidence to speak, the courage to share and the power to articulate what I thought and how I felt with respect to others. It also, and probably most importantly, provided me with a community where I felt I belonged; a place where I fitted in and where I could truly be myself (quite ironic considering that in Drama you are always playing someone else!). I think I have saved thousands in therapy thanks to my exposure to drama πŸ˜‚
Drama has been a significant part of my life since I was 12. The same is true for Michele (in fact, we first met each other IN a drama class at 12!πŸ˜‚)
It became the thing that shaped my life:
First as an actor in Cape Town Musical Theatre, then as a Director in London and now as one of the Directors at The Waterfront Theatre College.
After 33 years (I'm 45 so if my maths is correct I've been involved in drama and theatre for 33 years😌) drama continues to help me evolve into the best version of who I want to be.
On a daily basis it challenges my head, opens my heart and empowers me to communicate effectively, both with my body and my voice.
I can confirm, after this last week, more emphatically than ever, that The Helen O Grady programme is a brilliantly constructed programme that develops the skills I know have made a difference in my life and I am excited at it's promise to empower young lives!
Michele and I are encouraged, inspired and energised to continue the work of developing these skills in our beautiful Cape Town South Community! So in the most articulate words I can find: Bring it on!!!
Thank you to all who have made this possible and to Duncan and Gavin:
Considering that your Journey with Helen O Grady started in Ireland may I close this chapter with the following Irish Blessing....

May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
And the rains fall soft upon your fields


Paul Griffiths

Comments