"You are able to unearth the part of you that feels it can take over the world. Then you're equipped with the tools to do it."


The Helen O’Grady Drama Academy is celebrating 20 years of international drama in Africa since its founding in Cape Town in 1996. We have asked our past alumni to comment on how this famous global drama development programme has made a difference in lives and their confidence. Here is an amazing letter written by Nicole Mohamed from Port Elizabeth.


Since its founding, the Academy in Cape Town has grown to be one of the largest drama schools in the world with over 3,000 students and runs many programmes in schools and its own private studio. 


"I joined the Helen O'Grady Drama Academy, as a student, when it first hit my little town of Uitenhage in 1999. I was in grade 6 at the time, and was already quite the loud child (hence my mother feeling that drama would benefit me). I don't remember my first day too clearly, but I do have such wonderful and fond memories of my Monday afternoon classes.

Vicky Stroud, Principal of Helen O'Grady Port Elizabeth and franchisor for Helen O'Grady South Africa, was my teacher throughout my years as a student, bar her time off to have her lovely daughter and son, whom I now teach. Vicky used to make me feel as if I were the biggest superstar you could ever find. I started every week just feeling so amazing about myself because of the compliments I received in class. These compliments started to extend outside of my drama classes, I would get compliments from strangers about how well I spoke, I was receiving top marks for my orals, especially in the areas that evaluated speech, ability to make eye contact and add expression. I was also often the child who was asked to read for the classroom.


Receiving all these compliments was, obviously, a big boost in my confidence. But the biggest boost was being told I COULD do it. I COULD speak on stage, even if it was with other students. I COULD overcome my nerves because I would always have someone backing me and ready to lift me up if I stumbled. I COULD be my own superstar. As a student, I always knew that my Monday classes were the reason I could stand up tall, be loud, and proud, and communicate with those around me so effectively. It was only once I got older that I realised the subtle things my drama teacher did that made this possible.

In 2012 I joined the Helen O'Grady Port Elizabeth teaching team. Let me tell you, that the confidence building does not stop at just the students. We have such a lovely relationship amongst principals and teachers nationwide. We're constantly commending one another on jobs well done, sharing ideas and just generally giving one another support. We can create confidence because we boost one another's confidence. I honestly owe a lot of my ability to communicate confidently, and interact with others, to the Helen O'Grady Drama Academy. I love every moment of being able to empower children with the ability to believe in themselves and, to be honest, the classes are so much fun, for teachers and students alike.

At Helen O'Grady Drama Academy, you are able to unearth the part of you that feels it can take over the world. Then you're equipped with the tools to do it."

Nicole Mohamed (Teacher, Helen O’Grady Drama Academy - Port Elizabeth, South Africa)



For more information, head to our website, www.dramaafrica.com

Or like our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/helenogradycapetown

Tel: 021 6747478




Comments